Friday, July 3, 2009

This Place is a Zoo

Today D had the day off for the 4th of July so we took L to the Chahinkapa Zoo in Wahpeton!
Let me just say it is no San Diego Zoo (I think we're spoiled), but it is a nice little zoo and we had a great time together as a family. L was a little more interested in the animals this time (ya know, instead of just the other children). It was fun to see her watch the animals, especially the more active ones like the river otters and the monkeys! They actually have many kinds of animals. I'm posting just some of the pictures I took.
Watching the River Otters



Checking out the tigers (including a white tiger!)

Below is an animal I've never heard of before called a Fossa. It lives in the wilds of Madagascar and apparently it is very 'elusive.' In fact, the first photograph of one in the wild wasn't taken until 1995!
Grizzly Bear
A cougar just 'hanging out.'

Bald Eagle
An eagle nest - wow is it BIG!

Snow Leopard
By the end of the day L was great at answering this question...
Me: "L, who made that _______?"
L: "God made the _______!"
Apparently, she already has the whole CREATION vs. evolution thing down!!

On the way home, D asked L what her favorite animal was. Guess what she said?!?! You'll never guess! Ducks!!!! She said, "duckies!" And of course, D said, "I guess that was a waste of $14!" Oh well! At least we didn't have to pay for her! And after some more questions she did say she liked the monkeys and the otters and mommy and daddy. It's good to know she enjoys our company too! :-)

And now I leave you with the pictures that I saved for last. After all it was the best part of the zoo...in L's opinion at least!

No comments: