Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Duck on a Bike

As you know L loves books! You can tell if she especially likes a book because she can name the title. Instead of just "story, story" it's Owen or Click, Clack Moo or Duck on a Bike. As a teacher, I was trained to not just read a story but to talk about the story too. Finding details in the pictures, talking about cause and effect and asking questions (what do you think will happen next?) are all things that I did on a regular basis as a Kindergarten teacher. Now that L's attention span is a little longer I have started doing the same with her. Maybe it's because I talk more about the book or maybe she just really likes it but for whatever reason L has fallen in love with the book Duck on a Bike by David Shannon.

As you can probably imagine...the book is about a duck who finds and rides a bike (deep, I know!). All of the other animals watch him and make various comments. Until a bunch of kids show up on their bikes and run into the house. The next page is this...

L usually says, "Uh-oh" on this page and then tells me about the animals ("a horse and a puppy and a chicken" etc.). She even finds and points out the mouse. Can you find the mouse??

On the next page all of the animals decide to ride bike too (you didn't see that coming, did you?). We talk again about all of the animals and again L points out the mouse who is, of course, too short to ride a bike of his own. We also talk about the goat who is eating the basket. "Yummy!"

The book ends with this page...

L talks about how the duck might try to ride a "tractor" next. What do you think??

And just today as I was taking pictures of the book to post, L started looking through it and brought it over to me saying "Look! A frog!"

Do you see the frog? I honestly don't think I had noticed it before.

How exciting to see L learn! It's even more rewarding than a classroom full of kids, because, after all she is my own kid!!

No comments: