Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Keeping Jesus in Easter

Last week, when I asked L if she knew why we celebrate Easter, I was pleasantly surprised to hear her say, "because Jesus died on the cross for our sins."  Obviously, her Sunday School teachers are doing a great job with her!!  And while I'll admit, that bunnies, eggs, jelly beans and chocolate are fun and way easier for young children {like mine} to understand, we believe that it's important for them to know that Easter is about so much more than those things.  Here's a few ways that we kept Jesus in Easter this year...

 
We made Cross Suncatchers

 
(just like last year, only this year L totally got the symbolism!).

 
As well as a Resurrection Egg Hunt!
I originally saw the idea for these 'preschool resurrection eggs' here (scroll down to 'preschool activity') and since I currently have a 2 and a 4 year old I thought these were more appropriate then other resurrection eggs I have seen.  I collected 12 eggs (6 for each child - they each found one color of egg) and filled them with the suggested items:
1.  Cracker or Bread
2. Cross (I used cardboard for ours)
3.  Strip of Cloth
4.  Rock
5.  Left Empty
6.  Candy (I used M&M's)

 
Then D took the eggs outside to hide them

 
before we let the kids loose to find them!

 
I Man needed some encouragement but got the hang of it quickly.

 
L was excited from the start!

 
 
 
When each child had filled their carton, we put them in number order

 
and then the kids got to open the eggs while D told the Easter story.

 
 
 
Yes, Jesus is alive!  That's the sweet surprise of Easter!

No comments: